Insulation and Paneling

All of my frame work was done using 2”X2” I beam, to insulate the spaces in the I beam I took ¾” blue foam insulation and cut it into strips that fit in the gaps. I used spray foam in all the areas I couldn’t get the blue foam.

I wanted to spray foam the entire thing; I had a roofing company across the parking lot that could have done a good, professional job but it was three times the cost.  I’ll probably regret not doing it later but I decided to go with 2” polyisocyanurate rigid foam sheet. This foam has an R value of 13, which is what most homes built in moderate climates have and it’s a lot better than any commercial camper. Spray foam would have been close to the same R value but it would have sealed better and there would have no gaps to let heat in or out. I tried to carefully cut each panel to fit tight so there would be no gaps but in the places where it was unavoidable I used the can spray foam.

For sheeting I used the same 5mm poplar plywood I used on the outside of the camper and I clear coated it with a polyurethane clear coat. I wanted to do a stain on it first but decided it would be better for lighting to not stain it. I still need to trim everything out and do some cosmetic work before I build cabinets.

Trailer Mods:

Before leaving LA I got a few more things done to the trailer. I knew I wouldn’t have easy access to metal working equipment so I had to finish the spare tire mounts. I also needed to mount my jerry cans and propane tanks and it turned out I needed to extend the ball on the truck since the tailgate hit the trailer jack when it was down.

The mounts for the jerry cans and propane tanks were easy. I was going to make some custom mounts but then I found some on amazon that totaled around $80 for two jerry cans and two propane tanks. I would have easily spent that much on material custom making them not even counting the time. I used ¾” plywood to build a platform then mounted to that.

When I hooked up the trailer to the truck I couldn’t open the tail gate without it hitting the jack on the trailer. To fix this I bought a hitch extender that moved it farther out. Having the extender on there does lower my towing capacity but I’m so far below it won’t matter. I had a 10,000lb towing capacity which drops to 5,000lbs but I’m only towing around 3,000lbs. The hitch extender also meant I needed to extend my electrical plug and chains as seen in the last picture.

I still have the original two tires that came with the trailer that I will be using as spares. I talked about switching the tires here. I wanted to mount them out of the way so I built two custom mounts on the tail end of the trailer. I made sure to give myself enough room to mount a bigger tire, such as the ones I replaced these with, later if I decided to. For mounting studs I used regular wheel studs and lug nuts.

Subscribe for updates!

Join us here and get weekly updates of our blog posts as well as special event notifications.

You're not done yet, please check your email and verify your subscription!

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This